Register for the next course here!
February 4th-6th, 2019
Baylor University Medical Center Roberts Building – 17th Floor
3500 Gaston Ave.
Dallas, Texas 75246
Baylor Scott & White Health is now offering a Neonatal and Infant FEES (Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing) course. This course is designed to provide knowledge, skills, and resources for the creation and implementation of a multidisciplinary neonatal FEES program.
This course will introduce the use of FEES in the NICU. It provides an opportunity to develop an understanding of the bottle and breastfeeding FEES procedure and to gain experience interpreting FEES for the evaluation and management of oropharyngeal dysphagia. It is primarily aimed at neonatal therapists (PT, OT, and Speech) practicing the evaluation and treatment of feeding and swallowing in the NICU. Regarding endoscopy, this course is recommended for clinicians with adult/pediatric FEES experience and clinicians with limited or no FEES experience seeking infant FEES education. Participants will receive three days of didactic education, infant FEES video interpretation, and an opportunity for interactive role play to perform a bottle and breastfeeding FEES procedure with an infant simulation doll and FEES equipment. The post course offering will include hands-on training in passing and handling the endoscope safely and effectively. Participants pass the scope, on average, 4-5 times during the class. This is not an advanced FEES course.
SLP, OT, PT, RN, Neonatal RN Practitioners, Neonatologist, ENT
- Define neonatal therapy and theories of practice
- Apply the F.E.N.N.S. framework for infant and neonatal feeding
- Evaluate anatomical and physiologic abnormalities viewed endoscopically that contribute to infant dysphagia and determine appropriate recommendations
- Summarize FEES literature for the adult, pediatric, and neonatal populations
- Distinguish clinical indications for neonatal VFSS and FEES
- State the procedure for neonatal and infant bottle-feeding and breastfeeding FEES
- Differentiate between normal and abnormal swallowing parameters identified during neonatal and infant FEES
- Incorporate the key components in order to implement a neonatal and infant FEES program
Register for the course at www.VBHGlobal.com/FEESCourse
For more information about course content, contact Jenny Reynolds at Jenny.Reynolds@BSWHealth.org.